Republica Srpska Museum
The Museum in Banja Luka was established on September 26, 1930, upon the decision rendered by Ban Milosavljevic under the name Vrbas Banovina Museum and very soon it became a very significant cultural and historical institution. As early as until the beginning of World War II, the Museum has gainde prominence.
Numerous exhibitions throughout the Kingodom of Yugoslavia and the structure of the Museum with its ethnographic, ancient and historical, numismatic, geological and paleontological collection, tourism department, archives and museum library, contributed to its good reputation. Interestingly, the Vrbas Banovina Museum is the first publisher of “Vrbas Banovina Guide“ printed in 1938 in four languages for tourists. Only three years later, in 1941, World War II broke out in this region. Hitler's puppets, Ustashas, together with the German troops, began the series of unspeakably brutal atrocities. The Museum was not spared of the atrocities. In 1945, the Museum continued working under different conditions; new curators, historians, ethnologists, arheologists, geologists were hired.
Today, Banja Luka is the capital of Republika Srpska and the Museum grew into a state museum under the name “Republika Srpska Museum.“ The Museum has six departments: Archeology, Nature, History, Contemporary History, Ethnology and Library.