Museum of the Second Anti-Fascist Council for the National Liberation of Yugoslavia (AVNOJ) Session – JAJCE
The museum is located in south Jajce, on the right bank of the Pliva, below a large tufa plateau and in the immediate vicinity of other man-made monuments and Jajce natural heritage – waterfalls, the Old Mosque with the traditional elements, cemetery in Varosnice.
The construction of the building began in 1932 and ended in 1934. It was built for the purposes of Soko Company in Jajce. The funds for construction were collected from the company's own sources and through charity and Elektrobosna’s financial assistance.
What the Partisans burned and destroyed in 1942, they reconstructed a year later right before the historical AVNOJ Session. Upon the order of the Supreme Headquarters the building was reconstructed by architect Ziva Djordjevic. Based on his design, the whole wooden structure was redone, the building was covered with plaster, the interior and exterior were painted. The roof was covered with tile roofing instead of earlier asbestos boards. The hardwood floor, which was burned down, was replaced with plain softwood flooring. The famous painter Djordje Anrejevic Kun designed the interior.
On November 29 and 30, 1943, 142 councilors participated in the Second AVNOJ Session, which was held in this building. The representatives of BiH, Croatia, Serbia, Montenegro and Slovenia gave up on a part of their sovereignty to create a federation. The following document was passed at the session: Decision to create Federal Republic of Yugoslavia whose peoples will have equal rights, thus ending the process of creation of Yugoslavia’s state authorities. Given the major historical value of the building, the building was reconstructed again in 1947 and 1953. Some elements of the reconstruction remained visible to date.
The Museum of the Second AVNOJ Session was founded in 1953 as a central, Yugoslavian, museum and memorial institution with the goal to research, collect, keep, exhibit and publicize historical artifacts relating to this historical session. Some parts of the building were reconstructed and adjusted for the purposes of presentation and housing of museum exhibits.
The Museum of the Second AVNOJ Session was extended after the museum collection created in 1930 by the then Committee for the Preservation of Antiquities was added. Due to a lack of room, the collected artifacts, together with the documents, were earlier housed in the Franciscan Monastery in Jajce.
The first permanent Museum collection, which was later revised, was opened to public on February 18, 1959.
In session held on December 1989, the Jajce Municipal Assembly rendered a Decision on social justification of Regional Jajce Museum, which would develop its activities on the territory of two municipalities, Jajce and Sipovo. Since then the Museum was supposed to be the regional multidisciplinary museum, but it never became a reality.
c) Legal protection
The AVNOJ House in Jajce was entered in the Records of Bosnia and Herzegovina Immovable Monuments of Culture under number 313. The building where the session was held was proclaimed the Monument of Culture by the 1971 Decision made